Monday, April 04, 2011

One good reason...

(includes very mild CAMPUS spoilers)


...to get as many spec scripts under your belt as possible is that when you've started to get your name known a bit, at least by the twelve people who might give you work, those producers who have a show in development and are looking for new writers are going to start asking for sample scripts. And they're going to want to see something at least vaguely in the same format.

So unless you want to write exactly the same thing over and over again (and some writers do), it's handy to have a sample scripts, from your own original ideas, that cover at least the basic formats. Of course, sometimes you have to interpret what they want a little, like what I done today.

PRODUCER: Hi, I'm looking for new writers for a new kids' show, which is sort of a half hour comedy thing, with puppets. Do you have a sample script I could take a look at?

I have a quick flick through my recent scripts. The latest is the thing I'm doing for BBC4 is this 18th century adaptation, filled with whores*, booze and slapstick (mainly comprised of the protagonist falling over whilst in the middle of booze). It is wildly unsuitable. But it is also, I reckon, quite funny. And half an hour long.

ME: YES SIR I DO!

So we'll see how that goes.



* In other whorish news, I was pleased to discover that a scene I wrote for the Campus pilot which involves a discussion of 18th century terms for prostitutes, but was cut out for length, has made it back into the revised episode one. Huzzah! So a big week for Georgian whores, which is nice.

9 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

Looking forward with no little excitement.

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stuart said...

I'm guessing I've just submitted for the same kids' show. I also faced the same problem. They now have a script from 2003.

James Henry said...

Ha, the only *really* suitable script I had was from about then. But I'm scared it might be so much better than anything I'm writing now, I didn't want to read it again.

spacemonkey said...

Was yours the "tiller" bit as well as the "whores"? Detected a certain Jamesian tonery going on...

James Henry said...

Think that may have been a Richard. I've not actually watched it yet - Tuesday is D&D night.

spacemonkey said...

Ah, God bless D&D night. May your d20 never disappear down the back of the sofa and your save roll never fail.

(They still have those, right?)

the writers room said...

Think that may have been a Richard. I've not actually watched it yet - Tuesday is D&D night.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.