Thursday, May 11, 2006

Bearded Ladies tickets/Heroic Rodents

Tickets are available for the recording of The Bearded Ladies first proper grown-up televisual pilot/extravaganza on May 26th, 7pm, over here. These, as if you didn't know, are Ori and Fay, who co-wrote and occasionally appeared in Green Wing, and Charlotte McDougall and Susue Donkin, who aren't anything to do with Green Wing at all, and are probably fed up with it being mentioned all the time.

Go to them, oh blog readers, sit amongst the audience and laugh your roaringest. Don't cough though, it's frowned on.

In other news, RUNEPAW (AKA the Viking Mice Roleplaying Game) has now begun in earnest. I was going to put up an excellent picture 'Marsha Klein' sent me, of a hamster in a horned helmet, but it's on my old laptop, which is currently somewhere in Bristol. However the characters have been chosen, and the game proper starts in two weeks.

Characters are: Strixa, a mouse warlock with a small spark elemental, Odin, a grumpy mouse druid with a hunting spider companion (Odin is secretly terrified of his 'pet', which follows him everywhere, so consequently always sleeps with one eye open), and Bjorna, a stoat barbarian with one eye and a large axe.

Two as-yet unnamed characters: m'colleague Paul's mouse bard, and Constable Trout's samurai lizard (I wanted one character from a non-standard background, like Ibn in The Thirteenth Warrior, or the Native American martial artist in Brotherhood of the Wolf).

I've got two weeks to work on the first scenario, which I think will involve spooky mouse versions of Nazgul, some really really big spiders, and possibly an owl. Details will be going up on rpg.net when it starts, along with campaign rules and stuff on the off-chance anyone wants to run their own game.

UPDATE: Well, not an update as such, more an late addition - the fricken' amazing CGI/puppet/whatever 'Tyger'. Go and watch it now. What with this and the Sultan's Elephant thing in London this week (gutted I missed that), it's been a good week for performances involving stylised fauna.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heartfelt yay! for Viking mice. Felt I missed the prime time to whoop on first mention.

If he's called Odin, presumably he only has one eye to open anyway?

Best I shush now.

patroclus said...

Is it a huntsman spider? Because if so, I don't blame Odin in the least. Brrr.

James Henry said...

Unless the 'real' Odin though, he won't have a raven called 'Thought' and 'Memory' perched on each shoulder, as that would squash him before the game started.

woot said...

No way, Huntsmen are great! Like the labrador of the spider world...

Wouldnt want it to be a funnelweb or a huge tarantula type, they can be waaaaaaaay scary!

Do you mean "unless" James or should it be "unlike" as otherwise I am confused. Although as I don't know who the original Odin you may have been right in the first place...

James Henry said...

I did mean 'unlike', oops.

Abaculus said...

What's the currency going to be? Would the standard GP not be a tad unwieldy for a mouse?

James Henry said...

Amber beads for gold pieces, small carved shells (or bits of shell) for silver pieces, seed corn for copper pieces.

Less metal in Runepaw, so armour is either hide (ratskin), or fish scale, or at higher level, bits of insect carapace for plate armour.

Rose said...

*watches as all this swooshes over her head*

The one time I played D&D I was a paladin who infuriated our magic type person by being terribly valiant and constantly hogging all the not-dying potion. I wasn't allowed back.

(Incidently, my little spam-killer code today is VDFDPD, which sounds like it should mean something profound in Latin)

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed!
Will have to keep an eye on rpg.net - let us know when you've put stuff up please!

Anonymous said...

PS - just watched 'tyger' - how incredible is that! How do you find these things!

Oh, and the sultan's elephant was marvellous. You should've come up.

Anonymous said...

'Tyger' is pure genius; a beautiful composition! Real 'sets', super-imposed people/tiger, and CGI flowery lighty things...

And the puppetry is very like the characters in the Lion King broadway production...

And you gotta love anything that's anything like the Lion King.

cello said...

Very pleased The Bearded Ladies are getting a big Tv break. I'm sure Patch will organise a party to go along in support though sadly I'll be in Portugal.

Saw Ori in Dead Ringers, which I can't normally bear but the village organist's daughter was in it (the one in the Dragon's Den parody). Was distressed to see her being positioned as an ugly person when she is very pretty indeed. Tell her she must say no to that sort of confidence-sapping stuff.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Now I can spend the weekend saying to my GW-loving daughter, Alan Statham-style:

"How many GW writers have mentioned you in their blog this week? Is it less than one? I think it is"

Does that make me sound a bit immature? I do hope so!

That "Tyger" thing was great - esp. the music. Where, I wonder, would I find more of the same or similar? Anyone?

Does that make me sound like a clueless wannabe? Erm...yup!

Anonymous said...

Just realised the fantastic timing of the BL recording - it's the week after GW ends so would take ones mind off of the gaping hole.

(WV: wobba - 'a colloquial term for robber' or 'other'?)

Anonymous said...

Just had to say Friday's Green Wing was fantastic, but who on earth came up with the 'coffee enema' idea?? It's put me off latte for life!

Anonymous said...

Leave those hedgehogs alone!
(even if they are evil)

Anonymous said...

I learn from today's newspapers that WoW has 6.4 million subscribers, and that unsurprisingly Vivendi reckon they're going to do quite nicely from it, and gaming in general, thanks very much. That's an awful lot of night elves. Just think how many you could get for Runepaw (not elves in this case though, obviously).